Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Why is leadership so hard?

Over the past few months I have examined my role as a leader and looked at some strengths and weaknesses I possess in my leadership style. Also over the last few months I have realized that being a leader isn't the easiest thing in the world. Leadership is difficult. It's time consuming, chaotic, lonely, and at times it hurts. Everyone has their own opinion on what makes a great leader, and yet no one holds the market on knowing exactly what it is that makes one.

While leadership may be difficult it is rewarding at the same time. There are the exciting times you get to experience when someone you have led makes a key decision or steps into a leadership role themselves. What I have come to realize over the last few months and years is that leadership is an ongoing battle to grow and become the leader God wants me to be. That means there are a few things I must be prepared to face.

First, most leaders at some point or another struggle with paranoia. An overwhelming sense that you may fail, or that people don't trust you and will not follow your leadership. Paranoia creates massive leadership problems and will freeze you in your tracks. It says it's alll about me and not about the Kingdom, it is focused on my feelings and intentions often times rather than on God's goal to have us become more Christ like. Leaders acknowledge this reality, but can move past it because they have been called by God to accomplish a certain task or goal. The calling in their heart and the leading of the Holy Spirit pushes the leader to follow the will of God and allows the Spirit to work in ways we could never accomplish under our own power.

Second, brokenness is a huge factor in the quality and personality of a leader. God desires to use individuals who are broken and rely solely on the power and strength of the Holy Spirit. Brokenness is something every leader must go through, but it can be one of the most difficult stages as well. What I have seen is that a personal implosion is inevitable without a strong inner life. I have to be fully committed to my call to follow Christ and to spend personal time with Him daily. I can only pour into people what God is teaching me in my life.

I have so much more to write on this subject as God teaches me what it means to be a strong godly leader. Over the next few days I will bear my thoughts and struggles from the past few months of examining my leadership characteristics and flaws.

With that I ask you these questions: What are some characteristics you feel that a leader needs to succeed in His or her God given role? What are some good examples of great leaders in the Bible? Why is a strong inner life (devotional) necessary to follow Christ?

No comments: