Monday, March 14, 2011

Family Fuel


WOW! That is all I can say. We had a great sunday at Springhill with our Family Fuel sunday. I hope you come prepared next sunday as Dr. Rodney Reeves from SBU comes to bring the Word to the families of Springhill.

I got permission from Tom Hufty to post last night's "12 Cries Parents Need To Hear." You can also to listen to any of yesterday's messages here.

So here are the 12 cries and the need that is associated with it. Along with various other notes I wrote down to remind myself. I hope you enjoy them and I hope they help out.

* Kids will aggressively try to meet their needs.
* If their needs are not met at home they will go somewhere else to have those needs met.
* They will embrace the values of those who meet their needs.


1) Cool Scale
Need – Acceptance
- Kids will do anything to be accepted. You love them no matter what.

2) Compliment Starved
Need – Affirmation
- Love does not equal affirmation
- you have to be intentional in affirming your child.
- Find one thing a day they do well and praise them.

3) Confirmation Seeking
Need – Approval
- they need to know where the lines are.
- help your kids pick their friends.

4) Constant Strokes
Need - Affection
- kids need affection
- find ways to show affection daily

5) Consistent Safeguard
Need - Authority
- point them to the ultimate authority
- authority is a safeguard in life.

6) Common Schedule
Need - Access
- they need access to you.
- family must be a priority over everything else.


The following six were not talked about, but I will throw in my two cents on a couple of points.

7) Craving Significance
Need - Action
- children want to be contributors, we need to challenge them with the mission of the Gospel
- Give them actions steps that will help them reach their friends.

8) Character Struggle
Need - Attitude
- children are trying to identify and build character
- help them grow throw the difficulties by showing them the correct attitude

9)Continual Support
Need - Accountability
- be an accountablitilty partner with your children.
- that is your role as a parent. Help them learn from mistakes and prep them for difficult situations.

10) Childish System
Need - Adulthood
- don't allow your child to maintain childish ways.
- adolescence was never mentioned in Scripture because you went from being a child to adult.
- help them become an adult.

11) Culturally Seduced
Need - Arsenal
- The world is calling out to them trying to mislead .
- use them as weapons (arrows) to piere the darkness.

12) Counseled Structure
Need - Advice
- give them advice when needed
- remember you are their parents not their best friend.

I hope you enjoyed yeasterday as much as I did. Enjoy and I would love to hear you comments.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

Sad that we missed it...I love this information and plan to get the CD of his talk!

The Anderson Family said...

YEY!! I am so glad you posted all 12 - I'm a little type-A so it was bugging me just a bit to not have all 12. :) I really enjoyed the sessions - very, very good - informative & challenging. Thanks for everything both you and Sarah do with and for our youth.