Thursday, September 22, 2011

Popularity Zoo

I'm sure we have all been to a zoo. As you walk around and look at the different animals you see alot of different interactions between them. You see different traits and characteristics that make thse animals different from each other. I mean, could you imagine if a peacock had the tempterment of a lion. Obviously they wouldn't be walking around freely in the zoo. They would be caged up.


This week I have been thinking alot about popularity vs. influence. We are currently going through a series in The Merge called "Surviving School." Our main goal being that we want kids to do more than just survive school, we want them to thrive. In order to thrive I think they need to understand some basics in dealing with people and striving for popularity. Our culture is obsessed with popularity. Look at the TV shows like: any of "the Real Housewives," all of these reality shows that deal with talent (American Idol, Singing Bee, Dancing with the Stars, America's Got Talent & Sing Off etc). So my question is this. Is it popularity people want or influence?

Popularity can lead to vanity, influence can lead to reaching some for Christ. Influence is harder to measure, but it is worth the effort. Getting people to do something for the sake or benefit of others, is what Christ called us to. To be people who influence others with love and truth and teach people to follow and obey God so that they can influence others for the gospel. What a clear picture of evangelism. Too often we throw away our influence for the sake of popularity without thinking through all the ramifications of this.

So how can I make sure that popularity is not my focus and Influence is? I think Paul covers that topic quite well in I Corinthians 9:19-23.


19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to
everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win
the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I
myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not
having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from
God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22
To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all
people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the
sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.


Paul has 3 goals in these verses. Win as many as possible, save some and share in the blessings of the Gospel. Notice How Paul emphasizes "win." 5x he makes the statement throughout these verses. Do you think this is something important. He uses his influence with other to win them over, but does this lead to their salvation? Not necessarily. Because in vers 22 he makes it clear that only some will be saved. It is not our responsibility to save them, God will take care of that work. It is our role to love our neighbor and influence them with the truth of Christ so there is no doubt about who God is and what He has done. Finally, Paul is doing all this for the sake of the Gospel and for the ability to share in the blessings proclaimed in it. We benefit as individuals when we use our influence for the sake of the Kingdom. The Gospel must go forward and we are the vessel that God has chosen to proclaim it. So strive for influence with people and proclaim the Gospel always. By your fruitful labor and through your commitment to Christ all can hear and some will be saved.

No comments: