Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Random Thoughts

So I have been preparing for the guys Camp Out this weekend, and boy is it going to be fun. Our campground area is right on the edge of the Niangua river, out in the middle of nowhere. There is no TV, Radio, cell phone reception or anything. Man it's going to be awesome. As I have been planning this a number of random thoughts hit me.

First, I thought about how God wants us in the middle of nowhere, so he can show us where he wants us to go. So many times we try to keep ourselves busy and think we know what God wants us to do, but we don't seek him on a daily basis. The writer of Psalms tells us "Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path." Are you consistently relying on God's word to guide you and direct you in your daily life? If not you may find yourself in the middle of nowhere, with no map and no directions. When we rely on God's word we know that He is going to give us directions one step at a time. He doesn't want us to rely on anything else but Him.

Second, when was the last time you went somewhere where there were no distractions? I mean no TV, radio, ipod, cell phone reception. It's probabyl been a long time since many of us have had that. What gets me about this, is that God tells us in His word to "be still and know that I am God." Many times we run through the chaos of life missing out on what God wants to tell us cause we can't hear Him over the noise in our life. We stay busy trying to do great things for God, when He wants us to be involved in our relationship with Him daily. It's an ironic thing when God speaks to Elijah on Mt. Horeb (I Kings 19:9-13). Notice how God wasn't in the wind, even though the wind tore apart the mountain. He wasn't in the earthquake that I am sure was felt for miles. He wasn't in the fire either. He was however in the gentle whisper. A gentle wind that spoke to Elijah. Notice Elijah's response. He instantly pulled the cloak over his face, in respect for God's holiness.

This weekend is going to be an awesome time for us to get away as guys, but it may be the spark you are needing to propel you in the direction God wants you to go. It may provide you the stillness you need to hear the voice of God. Are you ready? I am!

No comments: